VMware Cloud Community
dgraysutsystem
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Log Insight - Unable to add content packs

Any content pack that I try to add to Log insight (appliance build latest version) gives me the following error at the top of the screen:

"! Error Installing (Name of content pack) Content Pack"

This happens for any type of content pack I try to install, vmware or otherwise. I've reinstalled the appliance from scratch twice and still have the same issue. I checked another thread here which stated to check the "runtime.log" but I found nothing similar to that users messages or any messages really that can tell me whats going on. Are there any other logs I can investigate or post for help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is the version of Log Insight you are using? and What is the type of license you have applied?

Thanks,

-Yogita.

0 Kudos
dgraysutsystem
Contributor
Contributor

I’m using Log Insight Version 4.0.0-4624504 and I have a permanent vRealize Suite license applied.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A suite license is entitled to everything wrt to content packs. Do have the license applied at the time you see this error? Which content packs did you see this error with or is it all content packs?

0 Kudos
dgraysutsystem
Contributor
Contributor

The license was applied upon installation so it has been applied through all testing. I see the error with all content packs

Granted I haven't clicked them all but I have encountered the issue with all that I have tried. For example:

F5 Big IP

Microsoft(all packs)

Vmware Orchestrator

Vmware Horizon View

Vmware Operations 6.x

Update: So I tried to the Oracle JRE one and it worked and installed. Afterwards I uninstalled it. Now Log Insight is perpetually trying to load and seems hung. Currently restarting my session.

0 Kudos
dgraysutsystem
Contributor
Contributor

So....I've encountered this issue previously when uninstalling a content pack where log insight hangs. One of the things it does is try to go to the pre-installed vsphere content pack and almost seems as if it continually tries to reload and hangs. The only way to stop it really is to close the browser tab. Although when you try to go to content packs again it takes you back to where you left off (vsphere content pack) and hangs again. For future people put in this url  "https://<log-insight-host>/contentpack?marketplace=marketplace" to got straight to the marketplace and prevent you from getting hung over and over again.

Anyways, I'm still right back where I started. Unable to add content packs and now unable to view the vsphere pre-installed content pack without having to close log insight.

0 Kudos
dgraysutsystem
Contributor
Contributor

here's what it looks like visually
2017-01-04_12-26-27.gif

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have seen this error with a slow internet connection. The API call to download the content pack times out especially for content packs with a large number of extracted fields and alerts. The solution I used was to click F5 (browser refresh to reset the API connection) and try again or try with a faster wifi connection.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos