VMware Cloud Community
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Unable to apply DRS resource settings...." continually pops up on one of my ESX hosts

We have vSphere4 and vCenter4 and implement DRS (not HA). Recently, I have noticed that we are getting the following message on a specific ESX host - "unable to apply DRS resource settings on host....". I can resolve the message by temporarily disabling/re-enabling DRS but after awhile the message shows up again. Its a general system error with Invalid Fault so not very specific. Anyone encounter this? If so, what was your solution and problem? One other note. it seems to occur during DRS migration of VMs.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

does it look like something below

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004667

If not, try to restart the management agents on the ESX Host in question from the service console

service mgmt-vmware restart

aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

will the restart affect any VMs?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

no it will not. Your ESX Host and it's guests will show up as disconnected briefly in vCenter but will connect back with no disruptions to either.

0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. it did exactly as you described. Now, the question is: what is causing it to happen? Any suggestions on how to monitor or track this problem? Appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

unless you are seeing symptoms outlined in the KB article above, I can't give you a definitive answer as to why it's happening. I can say this, we see it in our environments every now and again and restarting the management agents resolves it.

aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

interesting. I've been here at this company for 7 weeks and this is the first occurrence. Thanks for your help. I'm watching it.

0 Kudos