VMware Cloud Community
gary1012
Expert
Expert

Resource availability and clusters

I've been tasked with writing a tech guide which outlines conditions/requirements to add new clusters or new resources to a cluster. While on the surface, I thought this would be a straightforward exercise it's becoming more of a science fair project than anticipated. I'm looking for triggers for two events; first to add new resources to an existing cluster and second to add a new cluster. Some of the items that I've already considered include:

Add to cluster

• Average weekly CPU usage exceeds 60-is%

• Average memory usage exceeds 60-ish%

• Average aggregated NIC bandwidth exceeds 50-ish%

Add new cluster

• Different processor instruction sets (non-EVC)

• Hosts in cluster approaching any of the key configuration maximums for
    # hosts, CPU, RAM, disk, and network

• Partially collasped DMZ with different physical trust zones

I don't have CapIQ or vFoglight so this would be a manual data collection via vCenter or esxtop. With that in mind, what are some other common parameters that you use to trigger these new additions?

TIA,

Gary

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
gary1012
Expert
Expert

bump

0 Kudos