VMware Cloud Community
ohforf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

multiple VC servers??

In our datacenter we already have one ESX cluster and a VC server. We're looking at setting up an additional seperate cluster on a different storage network but the VM's will be accessible on the same overall network as the already existing vm's/VC server. Are there any conflicts between the VC's in that env that anyone is aware of?

thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Why would you want to create two VC servers if you can manage both environment from a single centralize VC. You can better manage and secure it by centralize using only single database and backup. But anyways, if you really needed to have two VC servers, that wouldn't cause you any problems as long as you pay for extra license.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are no problems of having multiple VC servers managing seperate groups of ESX hosts as long as you have the licenses -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ohforf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I didn't think so, I just wanted to get it from the horses mouth.....thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no problem - now for shameless self promotion if you found my or any other answer helpful please do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Why would you want to create two VC servers if you can manage both environment from a single centralize VC. You can better manage and secure it by centralize using only single database and backup. But anyways, if you really needed to have two VC servers, that wouldn't cause you any problems as long as you pay for extra license.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As stefan indicated that is another option use a single VC server and just create different datacenters to ease management and reduce cost - only one vc license needed

0 Kudos
ohforf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I understand what ya'll are sayin and if it were up to me I'd manage it from the existing VC. However, in our env it's not really an option. The existing cluster is part of the core IT infrastructure that is outsourced/controlled by IBM. There is an internal uprising going on concerning their lack of service and ability to execute. So becuase of the perceived lack of ability on IBM's part, most of the new projects are not being thrown IBM's way as they should be and are instead being put back on our plates. Gotta love corporate politics.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the joys of outsourcing - I feel your pain :_|!

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Depends who you're outsourcing though! If outsource to the right squad things can be rock solid but to those folks man....they just grab dozen VMware dudes and charge a tons of money on contracts. Smiley Happy No wonder why I can't find any jobs in Orlando or Texas cry at loud.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos