VMware Cloud Community
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

When an ESXi host crashes ... log of vMotion of the VMs?

An ESXi 4.1 host crashed a couple of days ago.  I'm working on the analysis and getting it back into the cluster.

One of the managers here asked if I could tell him which VMs were on it when it crashed and that vMotion migrated them over to the other host in the cluster.  I could see that all the VMs were on the other host this morning when I initially looked at vCenter.

Can someone point me to what log files to look in to show him that vMotion did what it was supposed to do when the host crashed?

Appreciating any assistance with this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

So vMotion didn't move the VMs - it only moves VMs that are on *running* hosts.

'HA' mvoed the VMs upon host failure.  vCenter keeps logs of those migrations, which you can find in the Cluster's 'Events' tab.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

The vMotion was last Thursday and hence the events are not longer "current".  So how can I find prior events?

0 Kudos
mikescuba
Contributor
Contributor

From inside the vSphere client under the file menu you should have an export option.  You can pick a time window of the event logs you want to export & if you know when your host failed you can get pretty granular.

You can also export system logs from there too, just be sure to only select the systems you want logs from.  (You can select the whole environment which which would probably take forever depending on the # of hosts)

0 Kudos