VMware Cloud Community
jmount1
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Infrastructure Client loosing connection

I have a Windows server running VirtualCenter Server 2.0.1.40644 that talks to a shared SQL 2005 w/SP1 server. Several times a day the Virtual Infrastructure Client looses it connection to the VirtualCenter server and we have to restart the VMWARE VirtaulCenter Server serivce to get it working. We just started having the problem when we migrated our database from a SQL 2000 server to a SQL 2005 server.

Anybody else exerpincing a similar problem or have a recommendation to address the issue? There is nothing in the Windows server eventlog and we don't see anything on SQL saying there is any performance issue. I cannot even recall having to restart the service when it was on a slower SQL 2000 server.

We are going to see about moving it to another SQL 2005 server to see if it follows. We may need to delete the database and start from scratch.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If the problem is only with the VI client I don't think this is dued to SQL2005 upgrade.

Do you have the same problem running the VI client inside the Windows server that holds the vc Server?

If you don't use the client the disconnections are normal behaviour.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Check the VirtualCenter server logs, if you have to restart the VC service to get it to work chances are that it lost its db connection. To view the log files directly open Windows Explorer and go to the C:\Windows\Temp\VPX directory on the Virtual Center server.

Also see this kb article for requirements for using SQL2005.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=6565318

Fyi…if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website: http://vmware-land.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

0 Kudos
jmount1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Eric. I looked and the last log entry was more than a week ago. It did have a message about an ODBC error and the server not being available. It is a week old but that is probably about when things started.

Just to add, we have installed the SQL 2005 client on the VC server last night and it has seemed to of have extended the time between failures from 2 hours to 6-8 hours. Our DBA ran a consistency check against the DB so we are hoping this well help.

I will pass along the information you provided as well to him to see if we meet the requirements that VMWARE has posted for SQL 2005.

0 Kudos
jmount1
Contributor
Contributor

Just to note. We erased the VC database and started from scratch with a clean DB on SQL2005. Everything is working great now. Defintely recomend it if having problems migrating from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 for VC database. Thanks.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please assign points for all helpful/correct answers.

See you on VMTN

0 Kudos