VMware Cloud Community
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VC 5.0 database log size max??

What is the max. size of log file for VC5.0 like in VC 4.1 it was some 4GB..is it improved ??how much can be the max log file?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

4.0 GB?  Ha!  Try 50GB!  And no it's not improved, it depends on your VC operations, TEMP is just TEMP anyway, you shouldn't be concerned with space for TEMP, if you are something is severely wrong with your DB server configuration.. you should NEVER limit TEMP, SQL needs room to do things in the background (as well as Oracle) you should ensure you have LOTS of room for TEMP.  Something tells me you didn't follow best practices for TEMP either considering a TEMP should be on it's own LUN/Volume anyway..

0 Kudos
joshgray
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you talking about the tempdb?  If so, that is a database side setting and nothing to do with vCenter itself.

If you mean SQL Express in general - I believe the version we bundle with 5.0 now allows larger than 4gb databases yes, but the 5 hosts / 50 VM's rule should still apply.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

Sorry for bugging in..

Regarding the SQL version, the docs for the vCenter5 installation states that the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is used as the bundled DB. However SQL2008R2 Express isn't listed as supported for vCenter5 in the Interoperability Matrixes... Seems a bit weird to me.

/Rubeck

0 Kudos