VMware Cloud Community
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

Moving the management network

I made a second virtual switch and added a VMkernel port group to it and removed the VMkernel port group from the first vSwitch (vSwitch 0). But for some reason the original vSwitch still has Management Network listed under it. I enabled vMotion and management traffic on the new switch (vSwitch 1) but it doesn't show Management Network when I look at the networking section on the host (see attachment). What am I missing?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what I would do is have your management network and your vMotion network on vSwitch0.  Use two NICs, making each of them standby for the other.  From there create a Virtual Machine Port group (vSwitch1) use the other two NICs, set them both to active and move your guests to vSwitch1

...Also, your management network is setup as a virtual machine port group, which is shouldn't be.  It should be a VMkerel Port.

0 Kudos
bqualls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Management Network" is the label of a port group that somebody in your organization created.  You will need to add a similar port group to vSwitch1.  To do so:
1.  Choose a host
2.  Configuration | Networking | Virtual Switch
3.  Under vSwitch1, click Properties.  The vSwtich1 properties window starts.
4.  Click Add
5.  Click VMkernel
6.  In the Network Label text box, type "Management Network" (or any other label that makes sense to you).
7.  Choose or type the correct VLAN ID (check the VLAN ID used by Management Network on vSwitch0).
8.  Because you chose a VMkernel-type port group, give it a valid IP address that functions on the VLAN in step 7.

0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

Doesnt it use the name Mangement Network as a default when the first vSwitch is created? We didnt put that name in there so I wonder if the name just stuck? It seems vCenter likes to use the name Management Network and VMkernel interchangeably

Im assuming I can just remove that port group and be good to go since I have my new VMkernel network setup with an IP on vSwitch1?

0 Kudos