VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unable to generate VCenter log bundle ?

People,

I'm running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 VCenter 5.1.0-1064983 and I'm unable to Generate vCenter Server log bundle - Extended or any type of VCenter log ?

Here's the error message from the Administrator command prompt:

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\scripts\vc-support.wsf" /z /f

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Creating folder vcsupport-1-6-2016-9-48 in C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop..

Created C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN\Desktop\vcsupport-1-6-2016-9-48\vc-support.log

VMware VirtualCenter Support v5.1.0-1064983. Log started for vcsupport-1-6-2016-9-48.

Gathering VMware VirtualCenter logs..

Collecting VMware VirtualCenter service logs..

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\scripts\vc-support.wsf(1563, 5) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied

This is the partial error log:

1/6/2016 9:52:23 AM: VMware VirtualCenter Support v5.1.0-1064983. Log started for vcsupport-1-6-2016-9-52.

1/6/2016 9:52:23 AM: Command: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\scripts\vc-support.wsf /z /f

1/6/2016 9:52:23 AM: *** Error reading VC config file: Object required

1/6/2016 9:52:23 AM: Gathering VMware VirtualCenter logs..

1/6/2016 9:52:23 AM: Collecting VMware VirtualCenter service logs..

I'm logged in using RDP to the VCenter VM as DOMAIN\Administrator which is also the local administrator of the VCenter VM.

Right Clicking on the start menu item Run as Administrator also didn't work either.

Note: the C: drive is 20 GB free

VMware KB:    Collecting logs in vCenter Server fails with the error: Cannot create a diagnostic bun...

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
Tags (1)
2 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try this : Goto Start > Programs > VMware > Generate a log bundle - Extended

Also, see if generating a bundle directly form the VC using the vsphere client works. We can narrow down and say the issue is related to the script then.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi abhilashhb‌, I can generate it from vSphere console but not from within the VCenter RDP session.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos