VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Time Configuration

have inserted 2 new ESX3.5U2 hosts into my VirtualCenter2.5U2 as a single HA/DRS cluster. Am now trying to set Time Configuration on each. Both currently have 127.127.1.0 settings and I need to remove that and add 2 NTP server addresses but when I try, I get :

Failed to change host configuration.

Any help solicited

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm starting to think that 3.5 U2 is a miserable abortion of a release and that no one should use it. In any case, you can try updating the information in ntp.conf manually. To do that, log in to the service console via ssh, then, as root, do the following:

Edit /etc/ntp.conf and find the "server" directive. Change it to your desired server(s); the entry is space delimited, as shown:

server 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2

Save the file, then restart ntpd with the following command:

/sbin/service ntpd restart

Alternately, check that the system has access to the ntp server by shutting down the ntpd service with "/sbin/service ntpd stop" and then running "/usr/sbin/ntpdate ." If it works, you should see output like "19 Sep 11:16:21 ntpdate[22314]: step time server 192.168.0.1 offset -651.044137 sec." If you see an error, you probably need to open the firewall to allow ntp out.

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

From the VC, click on the host and click on the configuration tab. Click on the Time Configuration link and click on the properties link. Here you will edit all the information you need and make sure that the NTP Client box is checked. Click the Options button, click on the NTP settings, Add all new NTP Servers in here and check the box to restart the NTP service. Now click OK, and OK, This should work for you.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
jduriez
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

I had the same problem and this thread help me to solve it , I had a UTC timezone setted on the ESX server that why it didn't work

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/117349

0 Kudos