VMware Cloud Community
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seperate VMotion network from the VMkernel traffic

What would be the best way to seperate VMotion network from the VMkernel traffic? Should I just create a seperate vmkernal nic and enable vmotion on it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes I always create a separate nic for VMotion. The one thing i have done is put the redundant Service Console port on the same nic as VMotion.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

This is assuming that you have multiple network segments at your disposal. You can only create one vmkernel interface per segment. So, if you only have one IP segment for this type of traffic, then you are limited to the one vmkernel interface. I generally will keep my service console and vmotion on one pair of NICs. Keep in mind that the only time this port group will be used is during a vmotion, and the rest of the time, it will be idle. If you are using the vmkernel for iSCSI, then that traffic should be separated as well in its own segment.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will put the vmotion network on a seperate vlan on a different subnet.

0 Kudos