VMware Cloud Community
kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

second VC

Hi All,

I have question if is it possible to connect a second VC to existing one.

I have VC 2.5 and two ESX servers. For security reason I would like to have two VC.

If is it possible please give to me some clue.

Thanks,

Pawel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

You can use MSCS clustering to provide resilience (www.vmware.com/pdf/VC_MSCS.pdf)

Can you give us some more information. You mention you need to do this for security, or do you mean resilience?

Carl

kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Carl,

Yes, when I said about security I mean about resilience, just in case if the first VC die the second one take control over. But I would like to install second VC as a VM box.

Thanks for the link, I will go through it.

Regards,

Pawel

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi Pawel, if your VC database is on a separate SQL server then you could just do a p2v (VMware Converter for example) of the physical and keep the VM powered off until you need it - You'd have to re-run the p2v process to keep the VC versions in-line.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

An ESX host can not be part of two virtual center environments at the same time - the only thing you could do is have the each ESX server belong to a single VC but that would prevent you from using VMotion, HA and DRS - as the poster if your are worried about availability MSCS or virtualizes your VC server and rely on HA since it will still function even with VC down

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos