VMware Cloud Community
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

Problems Adding ESXi Host to Windows vCenter Server

Hi all,

I have a little lab set up in which I'm trying to add an ESXi host to my Windows vCenter server (VM) but getting an error.  I've attached a screenshot of the error message I'm getting.

The strange thing is that the error seems to only happen on my Windows vCenter server and not my Linux vCenter appliance.

The ESXi host I'm trying to add is at the other end of a VPN tunnel.  There are two hosts at that end of the tunnel, one of which I'm able to bring into vCenter with no issues.

I thought it might be something to do with the E1000 network adapter so I switched the machine over to the VMXNET3 adapter.  The same issue happens with this adapter.

I can't even use the VI client to connect directly to the ESXi host.  However, a person who's located at the other end of the VPN tunnel on the local network there says they can connect to the ESXi host with the VI client, no problem.  That leads me to believe it's something to do with the networking settings.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this?  I've searched the KB and forums but don't seem to be able to find any issues quite the same as this.

Thanks,

--db

0 Kudos
10 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The error is specifically stating naming issue.  Can you verify that the resolution is working correctly?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

DNS resolution is working for the host I'm trying to add.

--db

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are both hosts returning similar return time for network connectivity?  Both hosts configured identically?

-KjB

0 Kudos
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, the latency on the host that was added successfully is a bit higher than the latency for the host I'm trying to add.

Both hosts are on the same subnet at the other end.  The hardware is a little different for each ESXi host, but still running supported network chipsets.

--db

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Can you check the logs on your esxi host under /var/log while you initiate the addition form vCenter?

-KjB

0 Kudos
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a particular log file I should be checking?

Also, the server is a diskless server booting off a USB stick.  I'm not sure if it's logging everything that I need it to be logging.

Thanks,

--db

0 Kudos
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

Aha!  Found this in the hostd log file:

2012-04-06T16:02:09.156Z [4250FB90 warning 'Proxysvc Req01514'] Writing response from localhost:8089 to client failed with error N7Vmacore15SystemExceptionE(Broken pipe).
2012-04-06T16:02:09.306Z [422C6B90 verbose 'Default' opID=9571DF7F-000002FE] CloseSession called for session id=5262476a-377e-eb9a-2bed-7c00ddcd15a5
2012-04-06T16:02:09.306Z [422C6B90 info 'ha-eventmgr' opID=9571DF7F-000002FE] Event 243 : User vpxuser logged out
2012-04-06T16:02:09.444Z [424CEB90 error 'Default'] SSLStreamImpl::DoServerHandshake (42d982c8) SSL_accept failed. Dumping SSL error queue:
2012-04-06T16:02:09.444Z [424CEB90 error 'Default'] [0] error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad certificate
2012-04-06T16:02:09.445Z [424CEB90 warning 'Proxysvc'] SSL Handshake failed for stream TCP(local=10.169.41.36:443, peer=10.0.1.174:56214), error=SSL Exception: error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad certificate

I can see the local address is my ESXi host and the peer address is the vCenter server I'm trying to add the host to.

Any thoughts?

--db

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm, I guess we must assume that the local ESXi cert is bad if the other host is connected fine.

On your ESXi host, cd to /etc/vmware/ssl, move those files to another location, and restart your management agents with '/sbin/services.sh restart'

-KjB

0 Kudos
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

Doing that has caused it so that vCenter can't connect to the host.

The exact error is "Cannot contact the specified host.  (<IP/FQDN>).  The host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding."

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Check back in the same location to see if those keys were re-generated.  Until the hostd daemon is restarted, vCenter will not be able to connect.  Check the hostd.log to make sure it has BEGIN in the log to start servicing request.

-KjB

0 Kudos