VMware Cloud Community
elong
Contributor
Contributor

Mountvm error

When mounting a FullVM backup to a temp directory on my VCB server (for file level restore), I get the following error:

Proceeding to analyze volumes

Mountvm failed:

Error while SetClientSecurityBlanket for IVie2WinVolume3 failed.: Could not get permission to talk to the vmount service.

Not finding anything on this error...

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is it a Windows vm? File level is supported only for Windows guests.

Does your logon user have the rights on vmount service?

0 Kudos
elong
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this is a windows vm. The user, is a domain admin with admin rights on the box.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Could not get permission ....

Can your VCB proxy connect to AD?

It seems it can't retrieve your permissions.

0 Kudos
elong
Contributor
Contributor

The server has no problems enumerating NTFS permissions from AD, or authenticating admins when they log in with netowk credentials. I did also try running the command after logging in with the local admin account on the server, and recieved the same error.

I noticed that the VMWARE Virtual Mount Manager Extended Service is set to manual, and is not running. When I run the command it does start the service. If that helps any.

Also this server is our Virtual Center Server, and I am wondering if there might be a conflict. We have no problems running backups, nor restoring the full backups directly to the VMHosts though.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think you can't install VCB on Virtual Center Console.

Read this:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=459352&#459352

Don't care about the service manual not running, some services are started when there have to be used.

0 Kudos
elong
Contributor
Contributor

So it would seem that templates are not the only conflict in this situation. Good to know, thanks for the link. I looked but had no luck finding anything. Didn't think about a possible conflict with VC till this morning.

I'm curious if shutting down all VC services would allow for a mount. Since this is just for testing and documentation, and the actually need for this would be minimal, it would be acceptable to loose Virtual Center for a short time while the restore takes place.

FYI, I have not seen any other problems running them together yet...

Thanks again for the info.

Edward

0 Kudos