VMware Cloud Community
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

Issues after upgrading to Virtual Center 2.5

Hello,

Yesterday I installed Virtual Center 2.5 on a physical and used a fresh new database on a SQL05 server. When I connected my hosts to the new install of VC, I got an error about being able to insatll the VC agent. I tried adding them again to the VC server and vola they came into it and everything looked good.

Well, here are the issues to date.

1. I can't use the VI 2.5 client to connect directly to the ESX hosts. It wants to install version 2.0 of the VI client.

2. A server that I want to power on through Virtual Center genterates the following error:

"The request refers to an object that no longer exists or has never existed"

If I use a VI 2.0 client to connect directly to the host, I can power on the server no problem.

To verify that the VC agent was actually upgraded on the ESX hosts, I ran the following command on the host itself:

rpm -qa |grep vpx

This returned:

VMware-vpxa-2.5.0-64192

I ran the following commands:

service vmware-mgmt restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

I then removed then re-added the host to Virtual Center. None of the issues went away.

Any help would be great. I have a support call in, but am waiting to hear back.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

What version are your hosts at? 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 you will have to use the 2.0 client to do a direct connect. Not sure why you can't power it on through Virtual Center though.

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

I have ESX 3.0.2 Update 1.

So I still need VI 2.0 to connect directly to the host? That seems funny.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Correct, you still need the 2.0 client to connect to 3.0x hosts.

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting.

I wonder if the power on task will work after I reboot the ESX hosts. I will try that tonight.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Just curious, if you are using VC2.5 if you are planning to upgrade your hosts to 3.5 soon?

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am planning on upgrading within a few weeks.

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

It is interesting that I didn't do the reboot of the ESX environment last night and by this morning the Power On through Virtual Center issue was resolved.

0 Kudos