VMware Cloud Community
nocrack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you know which disk is which?

Hello all,

I 've got two VM with about 10 RDM disks connected to it. The problem is that I need to remove one of those. If it's quite easy to see which Lun on the SAN correspond to which RDM disk on vsphere, I can't find a way to know which disk on windows is which RDM disk on vsphere.

Some help would be greatly apreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In windows right click on my computer go to manage -> disk management -> right click on disk 0 or 1, 2 etc, not on the partition and click propeties.  The SCSI ID should match up with the ID in the VM properties window.  So 0,1,0 will match (0:1)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The free RVTools can be useful for this - use the vPartition and vDisk tabs to match them up.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's very easy, LUN numbers... remove the one the correlates to the same LUN ID

0 Kudos
nocrack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll try the RV tools and see how it goes.

@RParker: it's not that easy as they dont correspond, I already looked. they correspond between the SAN and vmware but not between vmware and Windows.

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In windows right click on my computer go to manage -> disk management -> right click on disk 0 or 1, 2 etc, not on the partition and click propeties.  The SCSI ID should match up with the ID in the VM properties window.  So 0,1,0 will match (0:1)

0 Kudos
nocrack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THank you all,

The tool helped a lot but the SCSI id does match the windows No. It was dead easy, I don't know how I didn't realise that before...

0 Kudos