VMware Cloud Community
pcampbel
Contributor
Contributor

Communication across firewall

In another thread you someone stated -
The agent's require bi-directional communication because as resources are configured from the HQ portal we need to push that configuration out to the agent responsible for monitoring that resource. 99% of the traffic is from Agent to Server though.

I would conclude from this statement that I do not need to punch a hole through the firewall for communications from the HQ server to port 2144 on the agent, and it should still function ok as long as I don't need to push new resource configs.

tia
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Keep in mind that if you also have control actions firing off of alerts or try to schedule or run a control action, those all need to be pushed out to the agent as well.

I am unsure if control actions that have been scheduled before you close the firewall hole will work either as I'm guessing that it is the server that still does the logic/scheduling for that kind of thing.

-Alex
mtbtaizo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also intersted this topic.
When I set Agent up, I got an error as bellow.

>What port should HQ use to contact the agent [default=2144]:
>- Received temporary auth token from agent
>- Registering agent with HQ
>- Unable to register agent: Failed to connect to agent: Unable to connect to 123.456.789.0ab: connect timed out

When registering an Agent, Manager seems to connect to the Agent through 2144 port.
Do I have no choice to use port forwarding on the Agent?

mtbtaizo
0 Kudos