VMware Workspace ONE Community
Havald
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no DEP prompt for new iPhone

For the past few weeks, when I'm trying to enroll a new device I'm not getting the device enrollment program screen where it tells me that the device is supervised and prompts me for a username and password. It used to always appear after connecting the device to wifi in the initial setup and after it downloads the configuration. This still works when I reset an iPhone that's already in the mdm so I suspect that I'm missing a step. I've recently taken over the device enrollment from a colleague that is no longer with the company too, so me missing something seems very plausible. In the past I've done the macbook stuff and he did the creating users in the mdm, moving device to correct server, etc. but now I'm doing everything.

Here are the general steps I'm following to enroll a new device into the mdm:

I connect the device to a macbook and prepare it using apple configurator. I follow the steps like I always have, make sure to add a wifi profile. Then the configurator prepares the device, at a certain point I get an error that the configuration is invalid (that's normal).

At this point I login to business.apple.com and move the device to the appropriate server.

I then reset the device and go through the on-screen steps, i.e. selecting language, ui size, wifi connection. After connecting to a wifi it looks for the configuration but then just lets me set up the device as normal and it's not in the mdm as it should be.

I found this help article and made sure my configuration is as mentioned in the article: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/services/AppleBusinessManager/GUID-AWT-C-DEVICEE...

I've also verified that the certificates in

Settings -> Devices & Users -> Apple -> VPP Managed Distribution & APNs for MDM are still valid.

Am I missing a step or is it more likely that a configuration is busted for some reason? Currently I have to set up the devices, log in to an apple id, download the vmware app and register the device via the app. That's a bit tedious and I would love to return to the normal way of enrolling a device.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
callmegibby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you checked under Devices ? Lifecycle > Enrollment status and made sure the device you are enrolling is assigned to a DEP profile? 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
callmegibby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you checked under Devices ? Lifecycle > Enrollment status and made sure the device you are enrolling is assigned to a DEP profile? 

Havald
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I sometimes check there, most of the time they don't show up, at least not as quickly as they used to. The one I prepared yesterday just showed up an hour ago and the dep screen showed up when I tried to set it up. I'm guessing by hitting the sync devices button on the top left of the list I can poll the apple server for newly added devices?

Thank you for your help, seems obvious now that I see it 😄

callmegibby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We run into that issue as well too. You are correct, sometimes just need a sync to align everything up. Glad its working for you now! 

0 Kudos