VMware Cloud Community
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

license for single server Foundation

I need to install a single ESX Server Foundation, the license I need? without virtual center.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I want to install a single ESX server foundation, and then upgrade to n.2 ESX Server. The licenses to buy is this:

VMware Infrastructure Foundation for 2 processors + Gold (12x5) 1 Year Support?

thanks too much.

You need a license for every 2 processors.

If I read you right, you are starting with a single host with plans to add a second host in the future? Unless you need VCB, which would still require vCenter, I'd stick with ESXi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If this is going to be your only ESX server I would look at the free ESXi license - if you plan to grow into multiple ESX servers and would like to utilize technologies like vmotion, DRS and HA I would look at some of the acceleration kits which bundle mutiple ESX licenses with VC. If you want to still purchase a single Foundation lixense you can install the license on the ESX server - this is called host based licensing -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want to install a single ESX server foundation, and then upgrade to n.2 ESX Server. The licenses to buy is this:

thanks too much.

0 Kudos
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another answer:

whit ESX Server Foundation can i use VCB or i need Virtual center ? I have another ESXi server, for backup of virtual machine i still using VEEAM BACKUP.

tanks too much.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks too much.

You need a license for every 2 processors.

If I read you right, you are starting with a single host with plans to add a second host in the future? Unless you need VCB, which would still require vCenter, I'd stick with ESXi.

0 Kudos
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can upgrade from ESXi to Foundation simply by entering the new license key or i must reinstall VMWARE?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct -