VMware Cloud Community
LM_Chris
Contributor
Contributor

Multi-User KVM and Virtualization

I am wondering if there are any VMware users out there that have been able to accomplish this. I have a lab where we use a multi-user KVM to access several local workstations. We are about to duplicate this lab build again and are getting ready to buy hardware. I would love to be able to purchase one large server and virtualize all the desktops.

Are there any products out there that allow a multi-user KVM direct access to virtual machines? I would hate to purchase 10 desktops when I could go with a single server.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

You don't need a hardware KVM with virtual machines. The virtual infrastructure provides a "remote console" access to the virtual machines for those times when RDP (or whatever) is not sufficient.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
LM_Chris
Contributor
Contributor

The way our lab is used, we need to have a multi-user KVM. There are 5 displays that need to be able to display the same desktop or different desktops at any given time. So RDP doesn't really work and the desktops need to be quickly accessable via a keystroke. Any solutions for this type of setup?

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Multiple users can view the console of a VM...just connect to the remote console application. Switching between consoles would be like switching between applications. If you have a VNC solution, you could use that.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
rifraf
Contributor
Contributor

We use Avocent's DSVIEW 3, and it can access VM's. Check out their website: www.avocent.com/DSView3.aspx

0 Kudos