VMware Cloud Community
wynnep09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make a Virtual Machine available from the Internet.

Hi,

I am hoping somebody can provide me with some help with a project I am trying to run. My company has a requirement for a Demo Environment that is easily accessible. Currently users connect to the Demo Server via VPN connection and demonstrate functionality through this method.

Is it possible to make the Demo Server available by going to a web URL and running the desktop through the web browser?

I have an ESX Environment and I have a Development Environment using VMView.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds,

Paul.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows?

SSL VPN + TSAC and RDP turned on would get you a encrypted web based access to the desktop over the internet.

Or TSGateway +TSAC would get you encrypted RDP only (instead of VPN)

There is a price associated and hardware/software needed

Jered Rassier

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

This is possible but you would be crossing security zones to do it. I.e you rmanagement network would need to be accessible from the internet and this is NOT RECOMMENDED.

Your VPN solution is actually the best solution you can use. I do this myself.

Another option is to run the demo on a laptop on workstation. I demo ESX/VC/ESX utilities this way all the time.

Best regards, Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can also use VMware Server (web base) and virtualize your ESX 3.5/4.0 with VMware Server, and just make sure you grant appropriate permissions to access that VMware Server (Web URL) and you can manage from it pretty much from anywhere with internet connection. Using corproate VPN/Citrix solutions is of course more secure but for demonstration purpose, just create a test network with VMware Server hosting whatever guests you need for demo.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows?

SSL VPN + TSAC and RDP turned on would get you a encrypted web based access to the desktop over the internet.

Or TSGateway +TSAC would get you encrypted RDP only (instead of VPN)

There is a price associated and hardware/software needed

Jered Rassier

0 Kudos