VMware Cloud Community
Wintuzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

independent mouse

Hi

Is there any way to have separate mouse control within guest OS ? i.e. can I have two physically connected mice and use first in host OS and second within Virtual Machine independently?

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can do this as long as the mouse you want to pass through directly to the VM is USB, and the VM has a virtual USB controller.

First you need to power off the VM and edit your .vmx (config) file and add this option:

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

Then when you next power on the VM, you should see mouse devices (and keyboard devices) in your USB device menu. You need to be careful here, since it's easy to accidentally pass through your keyboard, or the wrong mouse (which is why this option is off by default). If you pass through your keyboard, for example, you won't be able to ungrab and you'll need to shutdown the guest and/or reboot your host.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AFAIK this is not possible.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can do this as long as the mouse you want to pass through directly to the VM is USB, and the VM has a virtual USB controller.

First you need to power off the VM and edit your .vmx (config) file and add this option:

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

Then when you next power on the VM, you should see mouse devices (and keyboard devices) in your USB device menu. You need to be careful here, since it's easy to accidentally pass through your keyboard, or the wrong mouse (which is why this option is off by default). If you pass through your keyboard, for example, you won't be able to ungrab and you'll need to shutdown the guest and/or reboot your host.

oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Another undocumented feature to remember :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Wintuzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

awesome, thanks a lot Smiley Happy Now I'm only curious about way to keep the guest OS' cursor visible when leaving VM window, but that's not so important Smiley Happy

0 Kudos