VMware Cloud Community
JonathanChennai
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to run Freesco within ESXi4

Hi,

I am trying to run Freesco floppy router within ESXi4 but during the intial Boot it just gives lot of numbers and details and hangs.

Works perfect in ESX 3. Only in ESX4 it hangs. ESX4 uses 64 bit architecture which I think does not work well with Freesco .

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Jonathan,

The Freesco Floopy Routerwas never certified by VMware to run on either ESX 3 or ESX 4.

ESX 4 does in fact use a newer 64-bit architectur, which is probably why this Feesco appliance is not working so good on your ESX 4 systems.

As for the exact reason why it not working so well on ESX 4, that answer will have to come from the support people at Freesco. I was looking at their webiste trying to find some information as to the operating systems that they support their appliance on, but I could not find anything on thier website.

You should get in contact with them and determine if their Freesco appliance is in fact supported by them to work on 64-bit systems like ESX 4.

Regards,

Graham Daly

Knowledge Champion

VMware Inc.

0 Kudos
NeilP
Contributor
Contributor

It does actually work in ESXi4.x

...However you cant configure it.

I have built my Freesco 4.3 (and previously 4.2) in VMWare workstation using the floppy image.

When it was completed and I was happy with it, I simply uploaded the floppy image to the ESXI datastores and created a new VM from there.

It works fine (from a routing perspective anyway) however I cant configure it (which is a bit of a pain).

I can simply configure it on VMWWorkstation and copy the file over again (if I wanted to make any changes, and I dont need to.. hardly ever).

NP

0 Kudos