VMware Cloud Community
rus1209
Contributor
Contributor

RDP Issues on Virtual Servers

Hi,

Has anyone experienced rdp issues on virtual guests running 2003server SP1?

We have 3 hosts in a cluster running vi3.5, virtual center is 2.5.

There are around 40 guest servers and out of those we have the same machines (about 5 or 6 of them) causing connectivity issues when trying to connect via rdp.

I'm able to telnet into them on port 3389 so I would say terminal services is alright and via the console but when establishing an rdp connection the sceen remains blank so the windows login screen does not appear. Rebooting the machine does not work.

Help...... Smiley Happy

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Has anyone experienced rdp issues on virtual guests running 2003server SP1?

If you can ping the VM's and you can telnet to port 3389, and a reboot doesn't work, then it's not a VM issue, it's a Windows problem. If it were VM issue it would affect ALL the VM's, and you would get sporadic connectivity to ones that normally would have good connectivity, so since it's only a few guests, this is a Windows error someplace.

rus1209
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks.

That's what I think but before logging a call with MS they will say can you replicate this on a physical box and at the moment we can't.

Also because rdp is not an additional feature we would have to do a complete re-install unlike if it was installed on a w2k machine where you could just uninstall the component.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
VMRulez
Contributor
Contributor

I have a fairly large infrastructure I manage and I am seeing this exact issue on 1 of the hosts.

My Windows2003 VMs do not run on one of the hosts.  The host hardware is identical deployed at the same time.  Exact same configuration from a hardware perspective.

Haven't come across any VMware KB articles referencing this.  I know what Microsoft will say.....crap!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

maybe the information in the below blog post could be useful

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/PlanetVM/2008/12/01/the-black-screen-of-death

0 Kudos