VMware Cloud Community
jfierberg
Contributor
Contributor

Converted Physical Server will not power on

Each time I try to power on a server that I converted using the import process, I get the either "operation timed out" or "a specified parameter is not correct". Ideas?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

If the server was transferred to an ESX server, on local storage, and then you try to power it on from the cluster, it won't work.

You have to power on from the ESX server directly, or move it to SAN storage.

Is that what you did?

0 Kudos
VMRulez
Contributor
Contributor

How long did your convert take? Does the VMDK size make sense in relation to the physical disks you had on the server? If you're trying to powerup the VM In an ESX environment - try and start it up independently.

0 Kudos
jfierberg
Contributor
Contributor

It is on SAN storage now

0 Kudos
jfierberg
Contributor
Contributor

I have removed the server from disk and trying to reimport it.

0 Kudos
jfierberg
Contributor
Contributor

The server has been re-converted. The initial power up was successful then vmotion moved to one of the esx3.5 servers. The vmtools were out of date so I initialized the upgrade and an error occured during the upgrade. the server powered off automatically and when the server was powered on the error was, "a parameter was incorrect". I looked in the hardware settings, and disconnected the cd and floppy drives and removed the usb controller. When I power on the vm now, it never gets passed 20% and gives me the "Operation Timed Out".

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you doing a Hot p2v or a Cold p2v?

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
jfierberg
Contributor
Contributor

Hot. The physical system is still alive.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If possible you might want to consider trying to do the p2v cold if you can schedule it. Sometimes the p2v hot process is just a little sketchy. What type of server is it?

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
jfierberg
Contributor
Contributor

This is not possible. I am guessing that if I cannot get this to work, the system will need to remain on the physical side.

0 Kudos
jfierberg
Contributor
Contributor

Converted the server to a vm again. Booted up successfully the first time and then DRS vmotioned the server to a 3.5 ESX server in my cluster. I attempted to upgrade the vmtools and I got an error during the vmtools install. I rebooted the server and got the " parameter is missing" message. I tried moving the server back to the original host but all I get now is "Operation Timed Out" when I power on. Ideas?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a mix of 3.0.2 and 3.5 hosts in your cluster? If so, I would recommend not updating the tools. I have noticed strange problems after upgrading the tools to the esx 3.5 version. With the older version, I had no issues, but after upgrading the tools, the vm on an older esx host had issues with restarts. I was able to move it off to a 3.5 host, but could not get it to start on a 3.0.2 host.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
equah21
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. My cluster is all 3.5 and when I went to upgrade the tools on a p2v server, same symtoms. Error then VM shut down. Now I can't get passed 20% (Operation Timed Out).

I was able to clone the vm while it sat powered off, and got it to start up again. The tools are still out of date though and I'm afraid to try the upgrade again.

0 Kudos