VMware Virtual Appliances Community
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sharing the cash?

I am wondering if I include a package that is currently freeware, what stops the freeware author from getting the prize money & possibly more from me, If I win of course. The license basically says that I can not profit from there IP, but if I was to win the 100k, isn't that a profit. I know I would want a piece of the cash, if it was my work.

What do you think? Any attorney's out there?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
larstr
Champion
Champion

You should read the licenses of the software you're using. IANAL, but I think most open source licenses[/url] should be ok. Stay away from shareware, crippleware, spyware, etc..

Remember, you can even sell open source systems like linux and so on as long as you provide full source code. I guess the BSD license even allows you to sell it without providing source code as well, something that might or might not be a good thing.

Lars

0 Kudos
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have read the license, I was hoping for a shortcut in understanding it. I will review the licensing site you suggested, by the way what is "IANAL". Sorry if it is a stupid question.

0 Kudos
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry I forgot the important part.

Thanks for your help.

Dallas

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

IANAL = I Am Not A Lawer

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

IANAL[/url] = I am not a lawyer

0 Kudos