VMware Cloud Community
Ulianovic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM's with EVC Inherited

Hi, I have recently inherited a VMware 6.7 environment and running a vCheck Tool I have found that almost 300 VM's have some EVC configuration inherited. Currently the cluster does not have the EVC enabled since the servers are all the same model.

If we power off the VM's and disable the EVC, will we have some impact/consequence on the VM's?

Is it possible to disable EVC on all this machines without powering them off?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> If we power off the VM's and disable the EVC, will we have some impact/consequence on the VM's?
Most likely not, but it actually depends on whether there was a special reason for these setting.

>>> Is it possible to disable EVC on all this machines without powering them off?
No, EVC (CPU features) are presented to a VM at power on. Modifying them for a powered on VM would most likely cause a panic/BSOD.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Ulianovic 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> If we power off the VM's and disable the EVC, will we have some impact/consequence on the VM's?
Most likely not, but it actually depends on whether there was a special reason for these setting.

>>> Is it possible to disable EVC on all this machines without powering them off?
No, EVC (CPU features) are presented to a VM at power on. Modifying them for a powered on VM would most likely cause a panic/BSOD.

André

ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Ulianovic ,

Main purpose of EVC on a cluster is to enable vMotion compatibility between hosts that are running on different CPUs and provide different CPU features. 

For example:

Couple of hosts running on newer model/generation CPUs and provide more new features

Few other hosts in the same cluster, running on older CPUs model/generations and provide fewer features than mentioned.  

Due to this indifference, migration of VMs between these hosts will fail. EVC on the cluster lets you set a baseline on the cluster that lets you select a lower CPU family to accommodate VMs from both CPU families.

I understand that all the hosts are running the same model. Unless they are running with different CPU generations, I don't see a reason to disable EVC features on these VMs.

Please refer this document for more information --> Enhanced vMotion Compatibility as a Virtual Machine Attribute 

Hope that helps

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

Ulianovic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! I think in the previous infra they had hosts running on different models. What is strange for me is the EVC was configured per-VM and not in the cluster itself because is the only way they remain with this configuration even when they were migrated to a NON EVC Cluster.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos