VMware Cloud Community
A2_A2YServerOPs
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.7 Distributed Switch configuration

Back story - VCSA 6.7 became unusable. The organization only had one snapshot from a year ago. So, I decided now is a good time to upgrade to VCSA 7.0.3. Upgrade not possible because VCSA 6.7 is unreachable. SO, new install of VCSA 7.0.3 it is. All hosts still functioning and added to new VCSA. However, the distributed switch configs on the hosts does not talk to the distributed switch on new build.

Question - How can I export the distributed switch configuration file from the old to VCSA so that I can import to new VCSA? Only access to old VCSA is via CLI. Due to operational constraints, installing PowerCLI or vCLI is not an option.

Other suggested fix actions are encouraged.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to try fix the broken VCSA. I'm not sure but there is no way to export vDS configurations from CLI.

You can install fresh vCenter and fix this situation by adding one temporary server for migration and add current hosts to new distributed switch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Try to open a VMware Support ticket. Maybe they will be able to assist. 

Old vCSA started right? Do you have access to it via DCUI? 

Try to extract logs and try to login to vCenter via ssh and WinSCP

0 Kudos
markey165
Expert
Expert

@A2_A2YServerOPs wrote:

All hosts still functioning and added to new VCSA. However, the distributed switch configs on the hosts does not talk to the distributed switch on new build.

Did you add the 6.7 hosts to your vCenter 7 "as is", ie without reinstallling?

Why not just clean install the hosts to ESXi 7.0? Think of it as a side by side upgrade, you need to get off 6.7 anyway, as its EOL!  Doing it this way means no old distributed switch to mess about with. Just create a new one, recreate the Port Groups, then use Cross vCenter vMotion to migrate everything across non disruptively, job done! We did something similar when we upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0

Note if you go this route, you'll need to put the new distributed switch into "Hybrid" mode to allow VMs on the old Cluster to migrate across from the old 6.7 dVS! 

HTH