VMware Cloud Community
S1m0n3b
Contributor
Contributor

How upload file from datastore to a vm

Hi everybody.

I need to upload files into a vm created on a vmware esxi server.

I uploaded my file on the datastore of the server.

How can i put them into the VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Download the file from datastore on the PC you are accessing vSphere from. and upload from PC to the server you want.

0 Kudos
S1m0n3b
Contributor
Contributor

sorry i did not explain well,

I need to upload those files from the datastore to the Virtual Machine created on the server.

the Virtual machine has been created on the a server vsphere, and i uploaded those file in the datastore of that server.

Now i need to put them into the Virtual Machine.

Hope that i could explain myself better.

thanks

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can't upload file from datastore to inside the VM. Datastore has VMFS whereas guest operating systems has their own file system. Instead of uploading file to datstore, access that VM's filesystem and upload directly there. Datastore won't come in this picture.

0 Kudos
S1m0n3b
Contributor
Contributor

ok thanks

so how could i upload the file directly on the Virtual machine without using internet access?

thanks

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What is guest operating system in that VM ? If you have network connectivity between your PC and that VM you can access Windows file system with \\ip address\c$ or you can upload to a linux system via Putty/WinScp or fileZilla.

0 Kudos
S1m0n3b
Contributor
Contributor

the os is windows 10

and the Virtual Machine is on a network server

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

One option - if you cannot access the VM directly - is to create an ISO image with the files that you need in the VM. Then upload it to a datastore, and attach the ISO to the VM as a virtual CD-ROM drive.

André

BerndtSchumann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

+1. I would do it the same way probably.

0 Kudos
S1m0n3b
Contributor
Contributor

thanks to all

i will try

0 Kudos