VMware Cloud Community
ArturoGarcia22
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0 must be restarted to start a Windows 2019 VM

We installed ESXi 7.0 in a brand new Dell server,  This server hosts a windows 2019 VM.

Ramdomlly the VM appears stoped and the ESX host needs to be restarted to be able to start the VM.  Otherwise it won't Start.

Just can´t find the cause.  any idea that could help?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator needs to move this to the vSphere area, since you make no mention of the vCenter Converter SDK, I’ve reported your thread to make them aware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ArturoGarcia22
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

As as dell shop... this is not a normal behavior. You should create a support bundle on the ESXi and open a #SR. Something in vmware.log?

Question: Does your Dell server use the (dual) SD card as ESXi boot media? Can the ESXi manage other VMs when this particular VMs becomes unresponsible.

Regards,
Joerg

ArturoGarcia22
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.    Yes, ESX is installed on a SD Card (not dual) and yes i created the Support bundle.  I'm not an expert so i haven´t found something that give a clue of what is happening.   

Do you think the installation on a SD card could be an issue?

There is just one VM in this host.   I'll create one more to check if i can manage both.

Thank you Joerg

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Hmm.. my detailed answer from last evening goes into cyber space....

Here again in short.

Major issues in 7.0u1? when it comes to heavy writes to SD/USB because of changes VMware have made within a minor upgrade. Take a look to https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/SD-Boot-issue-Solution-in-7-x/td-p/2852027 and countless other threads. The Dell and other Forums are also full of these.

Depending on the activity of your ESXi and number of VMs the SD because unreasonable and the ESXi isnt manageable any more.  It can take days or weeks... or just a couple of hours.

So downgrade or upgrade to a fixed version. But also with the fixed version some additional mitigation should be applied like enabling the RAM Disk and redirect the syslog so your first VMFS6 datastore.

Regards,
Joerg