VMware Cloud Community
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Changing the ESXi host name , DNS and domain name

Hi,

I would like to change the ESXI host name, DNS and domain name, kindly share with me the best practice to change the esxi host name.

The current name of one of the ESXi hosts is esxi01.Mc.indus.com where the esxi01 is the host name and mc.indis.com is the domain name. I want to keep the ESXi01 host name as it as and want to change the domain name as indus.com, so the entire name should come like this ESXi.indus.com. Also, I want to change the DNS servers IP address.

Thank you in advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If this host is joined to vCenter and running VMs, then first you need to evacuate it and remove it from vCenter. From there, you should be able to make those changes, update DNS, and add it back to vCenter. If you have other systems integrated like NSX or vSAN, there are other considerations to think about which can be rather complex.

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just want to ask you regarding the Esxi host removal from the Vcenter, This means I need to remove the esxi host from the inventory, right?

Also, before removing from the inventory, I need to shift the VM's running on the host to other host then remove it from the inventory, please let me know if this is the correct sequence.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this is what I said earlier.

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Also I have a query with regards to the switches, in our current environment we have 2 HP VC flex fabric switches and 2 HP b-series 8/24c blade system san switches.

What other considerations I have to look for to change the hostname?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There shouldn't be any. The ESXi host name doesn't (or shouldn't from what I recall about that hardware) impact the I/O plane from a hardware perspective.

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I will try the steps suggested by you and will revert to you if I encounter any issue.

0 Kudos