VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what is difference between deup&compression in vsan data service and vSAN policy

In vSAN7 there are 2 options to enable dedup and compression the first one according to pic1 is when we want to enable vSAN in data service  and the second is when want create  a policy . I know the second is for while we want assign this policy for specific vm but

1- when we use the first option in data service ?

2- can  we disable dedup and compression in data service when want enable vsan and just enable it in policy and use for specific vms ?

3- what will happen if we just enable it in the data service and not select dedup and compression due create new policy ?

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
21 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@baber wrote:

Thanks. But due create vSAN in one cluster finally we have just 1 datastore (vSANDatastore) and if that is AFA can support dedup&comp and if that is Hybrid cannot support dedup&comp  . So There are not more than 1 datastore to define which one is support dedup&comp and which one not support for provision VM. I think that option due create policy ( dedup & comp) is useful while we have more than one datastore in vSAN . Is that correct ? 

The option in the policy was specifically introduced for people who use HCI Mesh / Datastore Sharing. So if you have multiple vSAN Clusters, some are all-flash, some are hybrid, AND you share those datastores to other clusters, then you can use this feature to specify which data services need to be enabled for the datastore.

baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please remove this post

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos