VMware Cloud Community
CY11490
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Some doubts about drives and Firemware

If my driver and firmware versions are both in the compatibility list, but the driver version does not match the firmware version listed in the corresponding column and is higher than the firmware version, is this a supported configuration? If this is for hardware used for VSAN, is it strictly required to match the driver and firmware, not just comply with the compatibility list?

Because I found that the matching relationships in the VMware compatibility list may not be completely consistent with those given by hardware manufacturers, and I don't know which information to follow.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

After looking the screen shot my suggestion is

you should update firmware

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

we can use bridge firmware , can you give more information for which component (disk. controller) you are trying to search from VSAN side

screen shot of your finding

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
0 Kudos
CY11490
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My driver version is 22.00.00,but my firemware version is 15.15,My skyline UI no any alert,so I think this configuration is supported by VSAN ,but is not a best practice?

CY11490_0-1680599340183.png

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@CY11490 Driver+firmware here are tested and certified by the hardware vendor for the vSAN HCL as matching pairs e.g. driver X with firmware Y - it is not a supported configuration to just mix and match from different ones that are listed, it is only supported to use the matching pairs as listed.

You should update your firmware to the supported version here.

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

After looking the screen shot my suggestion is

you should update firmware

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
0 Kudos
CY11490
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@TheBobkin @Thank you, I have another related question.,I found that there are very few network devices in the VSAN compatibility list. I would like to ask if my network card is used for business and VSAN traffic, then my network card should query ESXI Compatibility or VSAN compatibility? If I refer to the network classification in the VSAN compatibility list, there is no Intel X710-DA4 there, and there are very few network cards listed by each manufacturer. Can I only use the few network cards listed above for VSAN ? I have seen some third-party opinions that we can ensure that the array cards and disks used for VSAN meet the compatibility of VSAN. The network can refer to the compatibility list of ESXI. Is this correct

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
CY11490
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@TheBobkin I see the kb,Does this mean the listed firmware is the minimum version required? Can the firmware version be higher than the firmware version that the driver matches? Assuming the vendor confirms that the driver is compatible. I already know that the VSAN compatibility list is not applicable to this kb. If my array card is only used for ESXI system installation, is it applicable to this kb?

CY11490_0-1680772689350.png

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@CY11490, The vSAN HCL for network cards are just if using RoCE, if just using normal TCP/IP then the ESXi network card HCL listings is what you want to be adhering to.

0 Kudos