VMware Cloud Community
vickey0rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

console thumbnail unavailable issue vcloud director

Since we have upgraded the vCloud, I'm facing intermittent issue for "VM console thumbnail unavailable issue vCloud Director".

Screenshot can be checked at

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) BR, Ravinder S Rana
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CFLSADASDSDSAD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have had this issue a few times. In our case VMware support had us clear out the inventory information that vCD keeps in its database that it gets from vCenter. It seems this can get corrupted or out of sync but by clearing the tables in the database forces a complete re-sync. vCD uses this collected inventory information to build a REST API query to get the thumbnail from vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does this go away itself after a few minutes (or on refresh); or does it seem to stick around for a while.

I ask as I have seen two things that causes this for us (I am sure more exist).

1. Refresh solved; if a thumbnail is not in cache VCD does not go get the tumbnail then reutrn.  It returns; then goes an gets thumbnail for next request.

2. ESXi host that the VMs are on might need to be unprepared and prepared again.  (If this is the issue I would expect that some hosts show thumbnails and others do not)

I am sure this is far from a complete list, but at least a couple things to check to start.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vickey0rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@cfor:

Your first point is not what resolving this issue for my case. and I have tried 2nd point by re-preparing the host but again it did not help. it must be something else.

~Rav

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) BR, Ravinder S Rana
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you elaborate as to what versions (release and build) of vCloud, vCenter, and ESXi you have deployed?  The specific combination can matter.

How screenshots happen differs between vCloud 5.1 and 5.5, and what version of vCenter+ESXi you are using.

The thumbnail being unavailable just means that it took longer than allowed to capture the screenshot from the ESXi host and export it to the transfer folder.

0 Kudos
CFLSADASDSDSAD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have had this issue a few times. In our case VMware support had us clear out the inventory information that vCD keeps in its database that it gets from vCenter. It seems this can get corrupted or out of sync but by clearing the tables in the database forces a complete re-sync. vCD uses this collected inventory information to build a REST API query to get the thumbnail from vCenter.

0 Kudos
vickey0rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM, CFLSADASDSDSAD <

0 Kudos
CFLSADASDSDSAD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

okay

0 Kudos
vickey0rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you my friend for sharing these steps with me. I have identified that whenever I restart the Cell it start working but after few days or 2-3 months same again starts giving me a trouble. I'm waiting for next occurrence and will apply below steps to my ORA DB (as I'm not using SQL, so have to work little bit to find the tables mentioned in below steps)

Thanks you again and apologies for delayed response, was really messed up with Virtual Infra Upgrade.

TY,

~Ravinder S Rana

0 Kudos
JC_RootAxcess
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can someone please share the steps I need to take to fix this?

I apologize since i see reference to them but dont see them posted.

I have been having this issue for quite a while as well and VMWare support has not been able to fix 😞

thanks

0 Kudos
CFLSADASDSDSAD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This worked with vCloud Director 5.6.3 with SQL 2008 database backend. You should probably check with support if this would be a fix.

Shutdown vCloud Director on the cells (VMware KB: Using the Cell Management Tool to shut down a vCloud Director cell). The vCD services must be stopped on all Cells.

Make sure you have a backup of the database!

Run the following SQL queries on the database to delete the QRTZ tables.

delete from dbo.compute_resource_inv;
delete from dbo.custom_field_manager_inv;
delete from dbo.cluster_compute_resource_inv;
delete from dbo.datacenter_inv;
delete from dbo.datacenter_network_inv;
delete from dbo.datastore_inv;
delete from dbo.datastore_profile_inv;
delete from dbo.dv_portgroup_inv;
delete from dbo.dv_switch_inv;
delete from dbo.folder_inv;
delete from dbo.managed_server_inv;
delete from dbo.managed_server_datastore_inv;
delete from dbo.managed_server_network_inv;
delete from dbo.network_inv;
delete from dbo.resource_pool_inv;
delete from dbo.storage_pod_inv;
delete from dbo.storage_profile_inv;
delete from dbo.task_inv;
delete from dbo.vm_inv;
delete from dbo.property_map;

delete from QRTZ_SCHEDULER_STATE;
delete from QRTZ_FIRED_TRIGGERS;
delete from QRTZ_PAUSED_TRIGGER_GRPS;
delete from QRTZ_CALENDARS;
delete from QRTZ_TRIGGER_LISTENERS;
delete from QRTZ_BLOB_TRIGGERS;
delete from QRTZ_CRON_TRIGGERS;
delete from QRTZ_SIMPLE_TRIGGERS;
delete from QRTZ_TRIGGERS;
delete from QRTZ_JOB_LISTENERS;
delete from QRTZ_JOB_DETAILS;

Afterwards start vCloud Director on one of the Cells (service vmware-vcd start). Do not start any other Cells.

After about 5 minutes you should be able to log back into the vCloud Director UI and if you go to System > Manage & Monitor > vSphere Resources > vCenters, you should see vCenter reconnecting and resyncing the inventory. Then once everything is back up you can start the other Cells.

0 Kudos