VMware Cloud Community
Dunfraggin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Blank (grey) vcloud director portal after installation

Hi all,

I've been through the installation guide and seen various blog posts on the process for installing vcloud director 5.1 and it all seems pretty straightforward to me.  The trouble is that I keep getting stuck at the same part in all 3 installs that I have attempted so far in a test lab environment.  Every time I complete the install and try to go to the first time setup wizard url (https://IP-of-vcd-server=http-nic) it just displays a grey screen...no text, no icons, nothing!??

I've read a few posts about this and they never really got to the bottom of it in the comments so I'm hoping that someone, somewhere has had this issue too and can point me in the right direction as to what the issue could be?

I'm running RHEL 6.3 x64 with firewall turned off, 2 NICs, certificates installed (self signed) and vcloud director 5.1.2-1068441.

DB is MS SQL 2008 running on a seperate DB server

Hope someone is able to assist Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you drop and re-create your database?  I know it's a new installation, but it seems like the DB was partially initialized once and then reused with this installation later on.

This would mean to drop the db, create a new one with the same name and account to connect to it, re-run the configure script once, then start services again.  Please ensure there is only one vCloud Director being used with the installation initially, as we can always add cells later via a different set of steps.

The errors are about decrypting files, which means that some of the ID keys generated don't seem to match the local OS files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

gray screen means that the app hasn't fully loaded.  The services started, but it never loaded completely.

Can you tail cell.log and provide vcloud-container-debug.log from the RHEL OS running vCloud Director?

You probably have a lot of things right, but just missed something.  e.g. no forward + reverse DNS for the two IPs configured for vCloud Director.

0 Kudos
Dunfraggin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

As this is a very recent install (just finished it for 3rd time on a new box...just in case Smiley Happy) the files are pretty small...

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you drop and re-create your database?  I know it's a new installation, but it seems like the DB was partially initialized once and then reused with this installation later on.

This would mean to drop the db, create a new one with the same name and account to connect to it, re-run the configure script once, then start services again.  Please ensure there is only one vCloud Director being used with the installation initially, as we can always add cells later via a different set of steps.

The errors are about decrypting files, which means that some of the ID keys generated don't seem to match the local OS files.

0 Kudos
Dunfraggin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent!  Thanks for your help that was indeed the issue and after creating a new DB and running the config again the service has started as expected and I've got the config wizard this time around! Smiley Happy

Should have realised the only part of the build I didn't re-create was the db itself :smileyblush:

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated!

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no problem.  Glad it was quickly resolved.

0 Kudos