VMware Cloud Community
itkville
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter esx 5.5 - snapshot consolidate fails with an error occurred while consolidating disks: msg.snapshot.error-NOTFOUND ??

I'm not sure why it's having this error?

I got an error that the virtual disk space was tool low and my vm was automatically powered off.  I browsed the datastore and saw old snapshots that were very large that could be removed.

I went into the snapshot manager and tried to delete them and started getting the msg.snapshot.error-NOTFOUND error.

The snapshots I deleted from the snapshot manager still show up when I browse the datastore, but are locked.

I really need to be able to consolidate these snapshots into the parent.  100GB free on the datastore right now.

If I try to take a new snapshot it fails and says: an error occurred while taking a snapshot: msg.disklib.OPENPARENT.

I also noticed after the fact that my hard disk is pointing to the most recent snapshot instead of to the parent.

I am thinking if I edit the .vmx file and change it to point to the parent it would load, but then won't I lose the snapshots?

I'd like to keep at least the most recent snapshot to roll into the parent.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Erin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itkville
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately part of the problem is the datastore was running out of space.  So I didn't have space or time to try a clone.

I did a reboot and after that was able to update the CIDs to get the chain pointed right after I changed the hard disk to point to the base file, powered on, created a snapshot, powered off and pointed the hard disk back at the latest snapshot,.

But there must have been a corrupt one in the list since my VM corrupted after all the snapshots consolidated (6+ hours later).

I didn't have a lot of time to continue troubleshooting or try a clone to another virtual server we have that did have some room so I just started from scratch.

Luckily I found out my backups of the data were fine so I just reinstalled Windows and started from scratch.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hopefully this helps someone else since what I did only looked like it was going to work and I don't know if a clone would have gotten it going or not.

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualnobody
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

When you edit the .vmx pointing to parent you will loose the data in snapshots, right.

Can you try to clone that machine or vmfs only?

itkville
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately part of the problem is the datastore was running out of space.  So I didn't have space or time to try a clone.

I did a reboot and after that was able to update the CIDs to get the chain pointed right after I changed the hard disk to point to the base file, powered on, created a snapshot, powered off and pointed the hard disk back at the latest snapshot,.

But there must have been a corrupt one in the list since my VM corrupted after all the snapshots consolidated (6+ hours later).

I didn't have a lot of time to continue troubleshooting or try a clone to another virtual server we have that did have some room so I just started from scratch.

Luckily I found out my backups of the data were fine so I just reinstalled Windows and started from scratch.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hopefully this helps someone else since what I did only looked like it was going to work and I don't know if a clone would have gotten it going or not.

Erin

0 Kudos