VMware Cloud Community
doug_hamp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

messed up big time

I have inherited a VMware environment with no passwords. I went to reset the vcenter appliance password by breaking into grub at boot (took a snapshot first).

That worked fine - set the new password then went to reboot, tried a shutdown -r now command which didn't work (I see now I should have used reboot -f

For some stupid reason I entered exit - so now the screen is frozen, cant do anything. Course I cant do anything from vsphere I am really hosed.

I don't know the password to the host that vcenter is on either, I have installed one new host (4th host) that I set a new password so I can get to that one

2 Replies
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the new host is able to access the datastore on which the vCenter is residing.

Browse the datastore and you should get the option to register the VM on the new host.

Once registered and Powered on >> You would get a message on the VM asking if you moved it, select Yes.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
doug_hamp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The vmdk had a lock so we couldn't do much with it. Nimble support was able to create a clone vcenter from a snapshot and get that running on the new host so we are back running again