VMware Cloud Community
DarthByte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thick Client FTW

Maybe it is just me, but I honestly hate the web client when compared to the thick client.  It is just not as responsive, and even it if was, I still wouldn't like it.  There is something about a dedicated client that just seems more professional.  Web interfaces feel like kid's play.  I would hope that VMWare would consider providing a fully functional thick client for the future.  Sure I understand it costs more, but we pay tens of thousands of dollars, actually it is a couple hundred thousand dollars for licenses/support and you know, I would think that should count for something.  So yeah, I want a fully functional thick client from now till I am dead and gone, which could be tomorrow or a very long time from now.  Smiley Happy  Have a nice day.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

As cliched as it may sound, you might raise a feature request - Contact VMware​. If there are considerable number of requests, VMware might bring it back Smiley Happy The chances of it look very slim though :smileyplain: :smileyplain:

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The thick client is dead I'm afraid, get used to the web client.

I'm used to the web client now, I probably couldn't find most things in the thick.

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thick client has been in the ground since 6.5 came out. It was on life support with 6.0. With 6.7u1, the HTML5 client is fully functional (it's not out yet, so will see what else they changed on it). I use the flash based web client the majority of the time. I've also gone to the vCSA since 6.5 since it finally contained VUM as part of it. You no longer needed to have another [Windows] VM to run VUM.

I have vCenter 6.7 in my home lab. I can't update my host to 6.7 due to the processors being unsupported. Hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement host with something much newer before too long. Then I'll go to 6.7 (or 6.7u1 if that's been out for a bit by then).

I would simply get used to the web client (or HTML5 client) now. Continuing to rant about the thick client going away won't do you any good. VMware has already made it well known that the thick client is fully dead and won't be returning.

0 Kudos
DarthByte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hehehe... well by your answer, you didn't say the web client was better, you just said you got used to it, and that I should to.  Maybe I don't want to get used to an inferior means of daily operations.  Maybe I want what we have had for many years carried forward because to me it is a better tool to use.

It sort of boils down to what ice cream you like.  Maybe you like Vanilla and maybe I like Chocolate.  I actually like most ice creams as long as the don't have mint in them, but the point is, I don't see VMware making the thick client available considering that they aren't exactly cheap on their products.  I am not complaining about the price of VMware, as I personally think it is the best and I so love virtualization compared to physical servers that if I could virtualize my mother I would... probably for different reasons though.  Smiley Happy

No, VMware should spend the money to give us the thick client.  IMO, it is the better tool, and we should have the best tools considering that IT is pretty important in any business.  Servers go down, and pretty much the business goes down.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

As cliched as it may sound, you might raise a feature request - Contact VMware​. If there are considerable number of requests, VMware might bring it back Smiley Happy The chances of it look very slim though :smileyplain: :smileyplain:

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
DarthByte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe if more people said that they preferred the thick over the thin, maybe VMware would listen.  Saying I am ranting, oh my... you have no idea my ranting capability, but ranting doesn't elicit effective response.  I am not ranting. I am putting forth my experience with thick and thin and my preference is thick.  If you don't agree, that is fine, though in your statement you didn't say thin was better.

0 Kudos
DarthByte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Now that is a good idea, and I did.  If anyone else would like the thick client, I would high suggest they spend a minute to let their desires be known.  Thanks for the reply.

golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thinking back to when I used the thick client I recall the trouble when you had hosts, or vCenters with different versions that you needed to manage. You would have to have multiple versions/releases of the client installed JUST so that you could connect to them all. That went away with the web client. That's just one example where the thick client was a PITA in comparison.

Right now, I do prefer the flash web client over the HTML5 client. BUT, that could change once 6.7u1 actually is released. I'm not sure if the flash client will still exist with 6.7u1 or not (haven't read the info yet).

IMO, unless MAJOR VMware customers rant about wanting the archaic thick client back, they're going to give exactly zero shits about it.

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"Maybe if more people said that they preferred the thick over the thin, maybe VMware would listen."

Hahahahahahaha yeah right.

No they will not.

They made a decision to move to HTML5 and they are sticking with it. Deal with it and stop complaining, as it is pointless.

I'm a VMware guy since day 1 and the Flash client in pre 6.5 was horrible. But since 6.5, it has become really usable and fast. It makes a major difference to use fast server hardware as the vCenter Appliance needs a lot of power. But on modern hardware, with flash-based storage, it's fast. The HTML5 version is even faster.

People are, by their nature, resistant to change. But change needs to happen. The newer clients have their own merits and I for one, prefer the 6.5 Flash client over the old Win32 "fat" client now. I never thought I'd say that in the 6.0 days but since 6.5, it works really well. I cannot imagine going back to the old days.

Many VMware Veterans had the same resistance to the Flash Client when it first came out. I could not find things, it took me a lot of time etc. etc. and I was moaning like many others. Then I noticed that Administrators who started using VMware vCenter for the first time, and where told to use the Flash variant, did use the flash client and where much faster in finding their way around than I was. After simply biting the bullet and really starting to use it, incl. usability features that the old "fat" client did not have, I really started to appreciate it.

The 6.7.0 HTML5 client is another step in the right direction. It's buggy as hell at the moment but it's definitely the way to go in my opinion. 6.7 U1 should become a decent version.

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"Servers go down, and pretty much the business goes down."

Servers do not go down because one uses a different Management tool. Honestly man, stop crying and blabbering silly arguments.

0 Kudos