VMware Cloud Community
mariotr
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VMs from host to host

Hi,

I just searched for my specific topic and would need some help with my new vsphere and vcenter software.

So far, when I wanted to "backup" or basically clone my VM from host "1" to host "2" ( I have to hosts in my office, in order one host fails or breaks down )

I jumped into that host, into the running VM (windows server 2012 OS) and used the "Vmware Converter Standalone" in Windows. I just moved the running OS as a VM to my other esxi host.

However, with Vcenter, I imagine that there are way better methods to perform that, right?

Clone, migrate whatsoever from one host to another.

The Converter on Windows took about 15 hours to convert the physical machine into a VM on the other host. (and it was a FREE esxi so far.)

Now I purchased the real deal and heard that the licensed Version uses some acceleration features??

The details are in particular:

Host "1" (esxi 6.0) with running VM

Host "2" (esxi 6.7 with additional VCENTER appliance on it)

--> I want the running VM from Host "1" on Host "2".

--> Should I update Host "1" first to esxi 6.7?? Or is that dangerous for my VM on it??

That may be a realy easy question for all of you, but it would be great if you help me with a short answer Smiley Happy

Thanks and Cheers

Mario

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're doing this, you really should have a real replication solution that allows a failover to your other host. There are many applications, but the community favorite seems to be Veeam.

0 Kudos
mariotr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your message! So a Veeam Backup and Replication should do the job yes. I was just wondering on how to do the job "manually" without any extra piece of software.

And what do you think about my question?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

And what do you think about my question?

I think you're making a mistake trying to make your life more difficult and you shouldn't do that.

0 Kudos
mariotr
Contributor
Contributor

There is no intention ofmaking my life complicated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then clearly a separate application that does this work is what you want.

0 Kudos
mariotr
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, seems as if Veeam might be the tool to go with.. thanks

0 Kudos