VMware Cloud Community
kceleslie
Contributor
Contributor

Installing vCenter 5.1 with service account

I thought that I've read somewhere that when installing vCenter 5.1 it is recommended that you install it using the service account that will be vCenter will be using to run but I'm not able to find that recommendation again.

I have to write procedures for installing vCenter and it was easier to install it using a domain admin account, then change the account it uses via the services window. So i did that, installed using my account, and change the account that it used to a service account and it installed and runs. I've changed my password and the service no longer wants to start. Even if i would have installed vCenter 5.1 using the service account i would think that when i change the service account password and change the login information within the services window it would still have failed, i haven't tried this but from my perspective that's what it looks like.

How can i break the tie with my account? Is changing the login credentials via the services window enough?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

The below procedure might help....... 🙂

Remove the Inventory Service account

This procedure is required only if you re-register vCenter Inventory Service to the same Single Sign-On instance that Inventory Service was originally registered to. When you re-register Inventory Service to the same Single Sign-On instance, you must first remove the Inventory Service account from the Single Sign-On application users. Otherwise, the re-registration will fail with the error, AlreadyRegistered.

To remove the Inventory Service account:

1. In the vSphere Web Client, go to Administration.
  2. In SSO Users and Groups, click Application Users.
  3. Delete the Inventory Service account.

Re-register vCenter Inventory Service with vCenter Single Sign-On

During vCenter Inventory Service installation or upgrade, the Inventory Service is registered with a vCenter Single Sign-On instance, and the Inventory Service stores the location of the vCenter Single Sign-On instance. When you relocate a vCenter Single Sign-On instance or switch to a different Single Sign-On instance, update the corresponding Inventory Service instance. If a Single Sign-On instance fails or is corrupted, you can also use this procedure to re-point the Inventory Service to a different Single Sign-On instance.

If changes occur to any of these entities, re-register the Inventory Service with vCenter Single Sign-On using:

• IP address of the vCenter Single Sign-On instance
  • vCenter Inventory Service host DNS or IP address
  • vCenter Inventory Service certificates

Notes: If you are re-registering the Inventory Service to the same Single Sign-On instance, you must first remove the Inventory Service account from the Single Sign-On application users. For more information, see the Remove the Inventory Service account section of this article.

To re-register the Inventory Service with vCenter Single Sign-On:

1. Open a command prompt on the Inventory Service host machine.

2. Change directory to:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\scripts

Notes:  
    • If you installed the vCenter Inventory Service in a different location from the default C:\Program Files\, adjust the path.
    • Typically, short names are not disabled. However, if you have disabled short names on your system, or have removed short names for the folder where the Inventory Service and vCenter Server are installed, follow these steps:

1. Open the regTool.cmd file with a text editor. The regTool.cmd file is located at:

installation_path\Inventory Service\sso

2. In the line beginning with set LOG4J_CONF=, enclose %TOOLDIR% in quotation marks:

"%TOOLDIR%"

3. Save and close the file.
  3. Run the is-change-sso.bat command to update the stored configuration information of the Inventory Service:

is-change-sso.bat ssoServerUrl "ssoAdminuser" "ssoAdminPassword"

Use this example as a model:

In vCenter Server 5.1:

is-change-sso.bat https://machinename.corp.com:7444/lookupservice/sdk "admin@System-Domain" "SSO_pw1!"

In vCenter Server 5.5:

is-change-sso.bat https://machinename.corp.com:7444/lookupservice/sdk "administrator@vSphere.local" "SSO_pw1!"

In this example, 7444 is the default HTTPS port number for vCenter Single Sign-On. If you use a custom port, replace the port number in the example with the port number you use. The quotation marks are required to escape special characters in the Single Sign-On user name and password.

4. Restart the Inventory Service:

net stop vimQueryService
    net start vimQueryService

The vCenter Inventory Service URL configuration is now updated and the Inventory Service is re-registered with vCenter Single Sign-On.

Reference --> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203362...

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
kceleslie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, i wont be able to try this out for a couple of weeks so i cant confirm.

0 Kudos