VMware Cloud Community
eMdzeJ
Contributor
Contributor

Host and Clusters view - disappearing hosts

Hi,

I've just upgraded vcenter from 5.5 to Version 6.0.0 Build 2997665.

There is a problem with hosts and clusters view in web client. Stand alone client works OK. See attached image.

Sometimes hosts are in tree view and sometimes no. When hosts aren't there I can refresh view by navigating to another datacenter and sometimes hosts appears (and sometimes no)

When I see host in hosts tab and click on it, for example check hardware status or anything else host disappear.

In standalone client I can see all hosts so it isn't security rights case.

Restarting vcenter doesn't help

It is a bug?

Thanks

MJ

vcenter.PNG

12 Replies
greco827
Expert
Expert

I would suspect the browser first.  Try it in different browsers and see if you get varying results.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
eMdzeJ
Contributor
Contributor

Before posting I checked iE, opera, chrome on 3 other client computers... this is not connected with user, computer or browser.

i'll try clean install on fresh system

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

OK.  Good to eliminate the possibility.  I like to start as simple as possible.  I have had mixed results with different browsers ... and even versions of the same browser.  IE 10,11, Chrome v42, v45, etc.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
SDS
Contributor
Contributor

G'day, I am seeing the same issue with vSphere 6.0u1 using multiple VCs using linked mode via multiple PSC and single SSO domain.  I get varying results using the web client and different browsers.  However the issue of disappearing hosts from the the host view remains.  Likewise the host view is stable using the "fat" client.

I would be interested to know if you find a fix for this?

Cheers

J

0 Kudos
brimohr
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed the same thing in my 6.0 u1 test environment.  I have 2 vCenter instances each pointing to their own PSC and those 2 PSCs are members of the same SSO Domain.  I rebooted vCenter, removed the host from inventory and added it back in and even tried moving the host to the other vCenter.  Same issue.  This was a new build of vCenter 6.0u1 - not an upgrade from 5.5

0 Kudos
brimohr
Contributor
Contributor

We heard back from VMware and the resolution is to reset the inventory database.  They said it has very rarely occurred and they do not think we will see it again, but if we do just repeat the process.  This can be done on a production system without data loss or VM performance impact, but it would impact all vcenter related services such as migrations and backups during the maintenance.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=211942...

vlab2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We just updated to vCenter Server Appliance 5.5.0 Update 3a (from 2e) and are experiencing this same issue.

In our cluster all of the hosts frequently disappear.  The only way to get them back is to click the refresh button multiple times.

Has the problem been completely resolved by resetting the Inventory database?  

0 Kudos
Noidea82
Contributor
Contributor

I run vCenter 6 on Windows and for me resetting the inventory database helped, just did this yesterday though so i don't know if the problem can return.

0 Kudos
vlab2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I reset the vCenter Appliance 5.5U3b inventory database and the hosts disappearing issue remains the same.  Going to open a ticket.

0 Kudos
JohnBonnee
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates? Same issue with 6.0U1. Reset inventory database but problem still exists.

Thanks.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
francescog
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MJ, same problem here. Have you eventually installed NetApp Virtual Storage Console 6.1? In my case I suspect that the issue showed up after the the iinstallation of the NetApp plug-in.

Regards,

Francesco

0 Kudos
MJSemperFi
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Francesco,

We also have noticed this issue.  Behavior is random/sporadic, sometimes they are there, other times missing.  Changes states (appearing / not appearing) within a few seconds/minutes at times.  We verified it was not tied to any one browser (reproduced on IE 11, Chrome & Firefox) and also reproduced from different client machines.  Uninstalling the VSC 6.1 plug-in solved the problem immediately for us.  Waiting on word back from NetApp on how to proceed...

0 Kudos