VMware Cloud Community
Sofix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Essential kit managed through vCenter standard

Hello

We got 3 host  ESXi 4.1 cluster but the version doesn't matter, because we want to upgrade it in nearly future. The thing is that we also want to expand our infrastructure, lets say with 2 new hosts. The present cluster is licensed with Essential plus kit with one instance of vCenter essential. If we  buy license for vCenter server standard and standard license for that 2 new host will i be able to manage it in one vCenter Standard ? ( essential plus kit 3 host + vSphere standard 2 host - by vCenter standard )

I dive carefully through all licensing documentation and white pappers , so i know that essential kits doesn't allow u to exceed 3 host limit , but if i will buy license for vCenter standard will i be able to manage both cluster throug it or i need to re license old essential kit cluster to ?

I hope its celar enough Smiley Happy

Wojtek

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That won't work. The only Essentials Kits you can manage with vCenter Server Standard are the "Retail and Branch Office Kits". In your case you'll need to purchase CPU licenses for all hosts. What may be worth looking at from a cost perspective, is an Upgrade of the Essentials Plus Kit to an Acceleration Kit (which includes vCenter Server Standard as well as 6 CPU licenses) and then purchase the additionally required CPU licenses.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That won't work. The only Essentials Kits you can manage with vCenter Server Standard are the "Retail and Branch Office Kits". In your case you'll need to purchase CPU licenses for all hosts. What may be worth looking at from a cost perspective, is an Upgrade of the Essentials Plus Kit to an Acceleration Kit (which includes vCenter Server Standard as well as 6 CPU licenses) and then purchase the additionally required CPU licenses.

André

0 Kudos
Sofix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre, now everything seems clear to me Smiley Happy

Wojtek

0 Kudos