VMware Cloud Community
waldodelport
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot export to OVA after Upgrade to 6.5

Hi

We just upgraded to vCenter 6.5. If we log into the Web client (not UI5)  and we try to export a OVA we get "This version of vCenter Server does not support Export OVF Template using this version of vSphere Web Client. To Export OVF Template, login with version 6.5.0.0 of vSphere Web Client."

Tags (2)
27 Replies
dalexiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware has removed the option to export OVA, OVA tools should be used if you wanted to create a single file

Export OVF is only working using the HTML client with Chrome (vCenter 6.5 U1)

I despise this constant hassle to do regular tasks taking hours to figure out what just happened.

It was thousands of times better, faster, smoother, functional in the thick client

0 Kudos
esmwebmaster
Contributor
Contributor

I couldn't agree more. vSphere 6.5 is pretty but basic functionality is being lost and we're not happy. 

I have 4 separate vSphere installations running vSphere 5.5 and 6.0 at my company. We planned to upgrade all 4 to vSphere 6.5 and did complete the upgrade in our LAB environment. As soon as we realized the OVA export was broken and we needed to use the OVFTOOL to get this functionality back we halted our upgrade plans and immediately decided to upgrade to vSphere 6.0 U3h across all 4 environments. We will stay on vSphere 6.0 on all our environments until 2020 or until the OVA export feature is fixed. We feel like we keep losing functionality as we move to newer VMware versions.

VMware can't be this clueless about how much the "export to OVA" functionality meant to users and how often this feature was used. VMware MUST FIX THIS BROKEN FEATURE IN VSPHERE 6.5!!!

Seriously.

0 Kudos
GeeGee_NVa
Contributor
Contributor

I also agree....

It gets worse, though.  Not only has export to OVA (apparently) been mothballed, but if you update to ESXi 6.7, (as I shared previously), even exporting an OVF Template (if using the ESXi "Host" GUI) is broken, too.  It's not supposed to be (meaning, it wasn't someone's intended consequence).  "Rec007" (in another thread) did share with me that vCenter Server's export feature was working--and I (painfully) found out he was correct.  I had to make a physical server available (as vCenter is not recommended to be run 'virtually')--oh the irony....  And this took me awhile to accomplish....

We had always managed to 'get by' with just the Host UI (the web-based product for ESXi).  We only have 2 host machines and a small number of VMs between them, so even though we had a vCenter license--we weren't using it....  But, I had to break down and create a vCenter Server machine and use one of my vCenter licenses to get it going--I guess I should be thankful I had a license--I realize some aren't as "lucky".

While I was happy to find out I could (finally) export to OVF Template once again, the pain I've experienced since installing vCenter has been exceedingly great.

In Engineering parlance, vCenter Server "...draws a very large vacuum" (that is, it sucks.  Mightily).  In all my years, I had managed to avoid issues such as:

• Not able to power on a VM
  • Not able to login to a VM via VMRC (to shut down the guest OS)--had to RDP to it instead
  • Orphaning a VM (not once, but twice)--the first time this happened, the features to "handle" it were greyed out and had to resort to PoweCLI to get rid of it.  Installing PowerCLI was an "experience" all by itself.  I won't belabor all I had to do for that....  Oh--and I didn't do anything 'wrong' to have orphaned the VM in the first place, either.
  • Undue lag time experienced before vCenter finally smells the coffee and reflects status has changed for a given VM (and I have all documented ports open in Windows Firewall Rules, etc.)
  • There are many more "issues" too numerous to mention at this juncture.

Frankly, I have a hard time understanding how it is VMware could knowingly ditch their thick client in favor for this sorry excuse of a web-based client--and still--after all this time, still not have even gotten the HTML 5 version of said client fully functional.  Myriad entities should not have been forced to become unwitting alpha and beta testers--and to have as many problems with the client that exist even now, is frankly, inexcusable.  Again, I am glad I finally got a means of exporting an OVF template (again), but the brick walls I had to endure in exchange for this rudimentary feature, is rather ridiculous.

The thick client was a far better product.  It did something vast portions of the web client (still) does not do:  It worked.

Whenever I think of vCenter Server, I think of the line from "Star Wars", where Obiwan Kenobi is describing the 'Mos Eisley' space port:  "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy".

If this isn't an accurate description for vCenter Server, I don't know what is....

Best Regards,

M. Gentry

0 Kudos
tashmore7637
Contributor
Contributor

I set up vCenter 6.7 in our lab.  This has got to be the most idiotic that I've seen VMware do & that is saying ALOT.  I can't get the Export to work at all.  Maybe VMware was too anxious to kill the vSphere Client.  It may have been old, but it WORKED.  Why did they remove Export to OVA?  It was simple & worked great.

0 Kudos
dstamen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can still export to OVF just not OVA. We deprecated the Client Integration Plugin and so there is no longer a direct export to OVA. I think the tradeoff is worth it, export to OVF and if you need an OVA use ovftool to convert it.

0 Kudos
tashmore7637
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out a work-a-round.  I have not updated all of my ESXi hosts to 6.5 or 6.7.  I moved the VM to an ESXi host that is still on 6.0.  I connected into the host itself using the vSphere Client & then did an Export to OVA.  Boom it works like it should.  I guess I'll leave one host in the lab on 6.0 for Exports.

0 Kudos
tashmore7637
Contributor
Contributor

So, you took a simple process that worked great for YEARS & unnecessarily complicated it to get an OVA.  The trade-off is NOT worth it unless you're trying to alienate VMware admins out there.

0 Kudos
tashmore7637
Contributor
Contributor

Also, here is what happens with the exported files.  It doesn't work.  I'm going to have to open a VMware support case to fix something that worked perfectly in previous version of ESXi & vCenter.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos