VMware Cloud Community
Hokey711
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.5 Email alerts stop working over time

I am having this weird issue where the email alerts will stop over time. First I had the fqdn in the mail server field (smtp.mydomain.local) and alerts were working fine. When I first noticed alerts weren't working I changed it to the IP address and it started working again. After a while it stopped working again and so I changed it back to the fqdn and it started working again. Anyone else experiencing this or know what could cause this to happen? It sucks that these alerts have become very unreliable for us.

We are running VCSA 6.5 (

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

have not  seen something like this before.

the fact that the it starts working after hostname Ip changes are done.. could you just add /etc/hosts file entries on all VCSA alliances for mail server..

might be a DNS resolution issue..

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. I see this issue all the time if we have to restart VCSA. For some reason after a restart of VCSA, I have to change the smtp mailer, then change it back. I also saw your exact issue in 6.5GA. And I tried to troubleshoot it some by doing some sendmail config, mailq commands, sendmail restart etc. But I gave up realizing that simply changing the smtp server in vcenter advcaned settings and back, kind of gets it going it. I was pretty sure our issue was some office 365 protection suddenly not liking VCSA.

0 Kudos
cchilderhose528
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have this issue as well where it just stops working.  I have updated to the latest build 6.5.0.12000 so will see what happens now but this needs a permanent fix.

0 Kudos
Hokey711
Contributor
Contributor

Almost a year later and still having the same issue. Called VMware support a while back as well and they were unable to provide a fix or help get it working. I created a powershell script to change the smtp setting to the IP address and back to the fqdn and set it as a scheduled task to run every morning. Shouldn't have to do that but it seems to work.

0 Kudos