VMware Communities
chiebere
Contributor
Contributor

"Cannot open the disk 'XXX' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. reason: failed to lock the file.

I created five virtual machines in VMware server 5.0. I then tried to load them in VMware workstation 6.0. One loaded succesfully the other four all gave me the message:

"Cannot open the disk 'XXX' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. reason: failed to lock the file.

I have tried deleting all the .lck files AND switch off all the VMware services but the error still persists.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
avgustin
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem.

Delete lck file.

Works for me.

Solution link: http://blogs.developerfusion.co.uk/blogs/thushan/archive/2007/05/10/3079.aspx

Regards

0 Kudos
coreyv
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. I use workstation6 as well. I dleted all the lock files and their related folders. It now works fine.

0 Kudos
sanjkumar
Contributor
Contributor

Exellent solution. This really made my day.

0 Kudos
R3LzX
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for this, it really was a saver!

0 Kudos
momentaryloss
Contributor
Contributor

I know it's a few years since this was posted but deleting the LCK folders worked for me a few minutes ago on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS machine.

Absolute life saver - almost thought I was going to have to rebuild the machine and waste most of a weekend's work.

Off to back up.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Simsumm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I had similar experience on a Windows 8 machine that was previously powering-up the VMs in quesion, all I did to resolve the issue  was to Lunch the VMware Workstation as an Administrator - RUN as Administrator.

Thant was all.

0 Kudos
udp12
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed deleting all the lCK files and folders works. Thanks avgustin and others for the solution!

0 Kudos