VMware Communities
Drynic
Contributor
Contributor

Importing vm from VMWare Server Console 1.09 to be opened by Workstation 9

Hi I have a client whose old IT guy had them running a Windows 98 Stripped for DOS vm in order for them to use a very old industry software. I have recently upgraded then to Win7 64 bit. They cannot load up the VM on their new PC as it gives an error saying it cannot find the vmdk yet is its in the vm folder I copied. They have VM workstation 9. I have ran the conversion utility on the older vm but it still does not work. please help. thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Make sure the vmx file contains the correct path - better to use relative path rather than an absolute one - for the vmdk file.

0 Kudos
Drynic
Contributor
Contributor

OK good suggestion.  Where do I go to verify this?

0 Kudos
EV_Simon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have a look at the vmx file in the folder where you moved the VM to and change the path to reflect the new location, alternatively you could use VMware Converter to migrate the VM to a new location and that should update the vmx file if you're not too keen on doing it manually.

0 Kudos
Drynic
Contributor
Contributor

I have been looking on the converter utility I installed but cannot find where the "convert existing old vm" option (or relative) is located.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Go to the VM's folder on the new host.  Open the xxx.vmx file in notepad.

Find the line similar to ide0:0.fileName = "xxx.vmdk"

Verify the path for that filename.  IF the file(s) exist in the same folder, remove any path part of the name.

Save the file.

Open Workstation.  Open that VM.  Power On.

0 Kudos
Drynic
Contributor
Contributor

I just verified that & it is set correctly but I still get the same error.

0 Kudos