VMware Communities
ems4ty
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9, Host Windows 8-64Bit, Guest Windows XP-32 Crash...

Not sure where to begin, but I did try a search and didn't really come across my same problem.  Can someone help me with this? Perhaps a solution is already posted but I didn't find it.

Host Machine is a HP Envy DV7 Laptop with Windows 8 - 64 Bit

Guest Machine is WIndows XP Pro SP3 32-bit

I've tried both a clone of a working Windows XP (Clean install) and I've also tried creating a new WIndows XP Guest.  Both guest machines crash on startup and without warning cause my host to reboot.  When I start the Guest XP, I get the VM Logo, then when it switch to boot machine and before I get a windows screen, the host computer will reboot. 

I read that perhaps turning off the "Auto Connect of the CD/DVD Drive" would help, but I still have the same problem. 

I really need XP VM's to work and if that ultimately means I need to downgrade my Host from Win 8 to Win 7 then so be it. I just hope that's not the case because I just bought this laptop 2 days ago for specifically running my VM's.

Thanks,

Tyler

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ems4ty
Contributor
Contributor

BTW - I have unchecked everything that I can think of and it still reboots my laptop unexpectadly.  I've unchecked the auto-connect for the USB, Printer, Network, CD/DVD, and Floppy and disabled the accelerate 3d graphics option. 

Also note, I have a desktop computer running windows 8 with Workstation 9 and when I run  a clone of this same VM Machine it runs just fine.  Boots up with incident.  So, the problem is isolated with my laptop.  Anyone able to take a stab at this?  I'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks again,

T

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Tyler, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Here's one thing to check: Make sure you are running the latest update of Workstation 9.  There's an issue with Workstation 9.0.0 which would cause host resets when powering on some VMs on Windows 8 hosts with the most recent Intel CPUs, and that issue was resolved with Workstation 9.0.1.  If by chance you are still running Workstation 9.0.0 on that laptop, here's the download link for the latest version.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ems4ty
Contributor
Contributor

Darius,

Excellent call my friend. I am indeed running 9.0.0. I will go ahead and do the update and report back with the results. Hopefully its as easy as that as I've just about run out of hair to pull... Smiley Happy

Thanks again,

Tyler

0 Kudos
ems4ty
Contributor
Contributor

Darius,

Updated to 9.0.1 and problem is now solved.  Super Awesome!  OMG that saves be days of work switching from XP based VM's to Win7 VM's and having to reinstall on the S/W.  Literally, could be up to a week of work.  Thanks again, I'm super happy now!

Thanks again,

Tyler :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos