VMware Communities
StevensDE
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP/Vista login hangs after installing VMware WS 6

Hi,

i have a little problem with VMWare Workstation 6 and Windows XP/Vista. Under both operating systems i have the same problem.

After installing VMWare Workstation 6 i take a reboot and the login process of Vista oder XP is very slow because the network connection isn´t available after the login. It takes 1-2 minutes until the network connection is available.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
gbrowins
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add a second voice to this problem. It wasn't an issue with 5.5, but since upgrading to 6 last week, the behavior described above has consistently been a problem for me on XP SP2.

0 Kudos
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just wanted to add a second voice to this problem.

It wasn't an issue with 5.5, but since upgrading to

6 last week, the behavior described above has

consistently been a problem for me on XP SP2.

Add voice 3. Sometimes when I start the VM, it won't let me log in saying the domain controller is un-available. Clicking restart in the VM does the trick. Using VMNETX

0 Kudos
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

voice 4. after i upgraded and tried to power on an image it appeared to hang. i did a reset by right clicking the image name in the left window. the image then powered on quickly and seems to have done so ever since. i cant explain it but the reset seems to have cleared out the problem.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Magic and bluecollar... just a note that your problem is NOT the same as reported by the OP. The OP is referring to issues of his HOST taking longer to log in since the installation of VMware Workstation (most likely due to the additional host network adapters, services, etc.). The 2 of you are referring to issues of your GUESTS taking long to log in.

0 Kudos
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ah so desuka

0 Kudos
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

i have a little problem with VMWare Workstation 6 and

Windows XP/Vista. Under both operating systems i have

the same problem.

After installing VMWare Workstation 6 i take a reboot

and the login process of Vista oder XP is very slow

because the network connection isn´t available after

the login. It takes 1-2 minutes until the network

connection is available.

Any ideas?

Experiment:

disable the vmware-authd service and reboot. Does this fix the problem of the slow boot of the HOST?

(Hi Petruska!)

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gbrowins
Contributor
Contributor

Somewhat different from the OPs behavior, I found that sometimes my network connection would be available immediately, other times not.

The problem I was seeing consistently[/i] was a 45-60 second delay before the 'Network Connections' window would appear showing all the connections on my XP host after boot (LAN, WAN, VMnet1, VMnet8, et al).

Setting the 'VMWare Authorization Service' to Disabled and rebooting remedied the delay - the window appears instantaneously when launched after boot with all connections present and accounted for.

I'll just set the service startup to Manual and use a batch file to start the service before I launch VMWare.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would reinstall workstation6.

this may sound like overkill. but i have experienced problems with WS6 communicating with the NIC. When i reinstalled WS6 the situation was solved. It would only take a minute to find out.

0 Kudos
frinkahedron
Contributor
Contributor

I also experience a delayed host startup after logging in with Winxp SP2, the only thing that has changed is I have upgraded to VMware 6 from 5.5

I have yet to troubleshoot, If I make any progress I will repost

0 Kudos
smatos
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone been able to resolve this by reinstalling? Or by other means?

0 Kudos
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has anyone been able to resolve this by reinstalling?

Or by other means?

I resolved it by simply disabling the vm-authd service. It apparently must not be used if you have local admin access to the host. Haven't had an error yet (been doing this since the beta)!

0 Kudos
smatos
Contributor
Contributor

What is the purpose of the vmware-authd service?

I don't want to break anything.

0 Kudos
FredFredBurger
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Any resolution for this issue?

0 Kudos
Pheatus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having nearly the same problem: I installed VMware WS6 on my new notebook (HP Compaq 6710b) with Vista Business. After installation I rebooted my notebook, but Vista keeps hanging at 'please wait' (just before you would normally press ctrlaltdel). I've waited 10min (the harddisk was doing something for like 5min, after that no disk activity) but nothing worked. I retried it several times, but no luck.

I can only return to Vista by doing a hard reset, and rebooting in safe mode. Then disabling the VMware services and reboot.

I've updated my drivers, so these won't be the problem.

I tried to disable the vmware-authd service and that actually solved the booting problem. I now manually start that service if I need WS6.

In my eventviewer I see following errors when the booting wouldn't work:

\- DnsApi (warning):

The system failed to register host (A or AAAA) resource records (RRs) for network adapter with settings: some overview of the internal domain

\- A couple of DistributedCOM errors, for example:

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "" in order to run the server:

\{9B1F122C-2982-4E91-AA8B-E071D54F2A4D}

Just posting this info so we could compair the problem.

And if someone has a fix, please let me know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
smatos
Contributor
Contributor

This is obviously a major problem with WS6.

Does any one know if VMWare is planning to realease a fix any time soon?

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you filed a support request?

mike

0 Kudos
dtork
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with slow XP bootup after installing VMWare 6.0

I have a fast quad-core and after I first see the windows desktop I can usually do anything such as open Email within 10 seconds. After installing VMWare outlook will 'hang' for up to a minute.

Anybody know if there is a fix for this from VMWare?

0 Kudos