VMware Communities
BishBosh
Contributor
Contributor

Vista 32bit Enterprise host has issues with Bridged Network on guest

Hi All

Im new to this VM stuff so I appoligise if this issue is documented already. I have looked around but none of my searches have come up with my problem.

I have a HP DC7600 PC & HP 8710p laptop with Vista 32bit Ent installed running the latest version of VMWorkstation but on both machines I have had problems with getting Bridged network to run.

If I switch over to NAT it works fine... I have reinstalled VM 6.05 and rebuilt new Guest XP's but still NO bridged network.

I am at a bit of a dead end and require some expert help on this probabily simple issue...

Help????

Bruce

0 Kudos
6 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Would you clarify what constiutes not working in the guest? Can the guest ping the host and vice verse when bridged? Are you auto-bridging? How many NICs do the laptops have (wired and/or wireless)? What does "ipconfig a/ll" give in the guest? Any event log errors?

I have Workstation 6.5.0 on an x86 Vista Enterprise HP nx9420 with auto-bridged networks and it works fine in that it gets a DHCP address from an external server and can browse the intranet and external internet from IE.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

If troubleshooting a network issue, please include the following additional information.
  • Post the output from "ipconfig /all" (Windows) or " ifconfig -a" (Linux) from both the host and the guest OS

• Post the .vmx file from the virtual machine.

• Details of how your host is connected to the network / Internet (Cable Modem, DSL, Router, Switch, Wired, Wireless,...).

0 Kudos
BishBosh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys

I have found that there is an error in the host and guest Application Log's for vmauthd event error id 100.

It is complaining about not being able to connect to the VMX file... Is this an permissions issue?

The guest OS (XP) has NO ip address (169.xx.xx.xx) and has limited or no connectivity displayed.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

> I have found that there is an error in the host and guest Application Log's for vmauthd event error id 100.

I believe this not to be related to your network issue.

If you post the requested information will be helpful to troubleshoot your issue

You should also check that properties of your physical adapter has the VMware Bridge Protocol installed

0 Kudos
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I get these errors too in my host so I suggest they are benign or at least not causing your issue.

Where are you expecting the IP address to come from as in I assume you have an external (to your hosts) DHCP server that should give an IP address to these VMs? Can you temporarily assign an unused fixed IP address to a guest VM to see if it is just a DHCP issue?

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
BishBosh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi here is my VMX file.

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "6"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "764"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Professional.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"