VMware Communities
dmbtech
Contributor
Contributor

VMware workstation, Iphone/ipod touch, Firmware upgrade

I am unable to upgrade the firmware on my device to the ipod touches 2.0 firmware on a linux host with windows guest. It stops when it says preparing for upgrade or something similar to that. Is their a work-around?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Noel
Expert
Expert

As far as I know, performing a software update doesn't work with any of the virtual machine providers. There is discussion of this, with an alleged workaround, at http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/491 (search for "Apple Inc.").

The key appears to be that we have to get VMware to more aggressively grab and keep the device as it changes and resets on the USB. But the VMware USB gurus can probably comment more knowledgeably.

AFAIK, the issue affects everyone with an iPod or similar device -- it certainly effects me -- and I would love to see it fixed.

0 Kudos
TriPPed
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot answer to the Linux host with an XP guest issue but i have had my iphone software updated (2.0->2.1) through my XP guest.

My setup was a XP(or vista) host and XP guest and vmware 6.0.5. However, i did get very nervious everytime the usb would disconnect as the phone powered up and down and new firmware was be upgraded.

I did have some serious issues with vmware 6.5.0 such that i couldnt even get my iphone to come up in the virtual machine. Since upgrading to vmware 6.5.1 i havent had a problem.

Saying all that, i no longer plan to conduct firmware updates through a virtual machine as i think it is too risky of breaking part way through the process and potentially bricking the phone.

Probably doesnt help too much, but i have had it working.

0 Kudos